The Henry Way
Over the years Jim Henry has developed a personal philosophy he calls "The Henry Way". The Henry Way is a list of principles that guides the way the company conducts its business and has been the foundation for the Henry organization's longevity and success.
- Strive to be a Christian company.
- Work for the benefit of God, family and company; in that order.
- Strive to exhibit high standards of character and maintain a stellar reputation. Never compromise integrity.
- Strive to be a company that is technically competent, low-cost, highly efficient and careful with risk.
- Maintain a very low or no debt position. Stay disciplined and avoid the temptation to use debt to accelerate growth. Play the long game.
- Make employees a high priority. Foster a culture where is it okay to make mistakes and provide both stability and opportunity in the way you compensate them. Hire the best people and give them incentive to stay.
- Run a lean staff and religiously maintain a balance sheet that will protect your people, even through a prolonged downturn.
- Help those less fortunate than you.
- Give back to your city with your time, talents and resources.
- Use a “Win-Win” strategy in negotiations. Fair dealings lead to repeat partnerships, which lead to the long-term success of the company.
Jim's Words of Wisdom
"Do something, even if it’s wrong. You can always correct something. You can’t correct nothing."
"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER lose your TAW."
"Make sure you have enough money so you never have to fire employees because you can’t afford them."
"When the Company is making more money, the employees should also make more money."
"The strategy that got you through the past seven years won’t take you through the next seven years."
"If you are going to do something, then just do it right.”
"Business is a game and we keep score with profits."
"Work should be fun. Laugh a lot and sometimes laugh at yourself."
"Acreage is King."
"You find oil where you found oil."
"I would rather be around than rich."
"Very few companies went broke that had no debt."
"The only person who makes a mistake is someone that is doing something."
"Go for singles or doubles, but if you are given a slow, fat ball right down the middle, knock it out of the park, like we did the Wolfberry."
"The sands of time are strewn with the wreckages of companies that didn’t innovate."
"Never bet against technology."
"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail."
"Don’t kill the goose that lays the golden egg."
"The way to make money is to find something you’re good at and do it over and over."
3525 Andrews Hwy
Midland, TX 79703
Phone: (432) 694-3000